Diner en Blanc - What's cooking?
In our series #stayhome, we figure it would be the ideal time to test or improve our culinary talents. During trying times or challenges, cooking can be therapeutic and bring a sense of calm to our days.
We would love for you to share with us and Dîner en Blanc community your favourite recipes whether it is your own concoction, a family recipe, your go-to-comfort food, your favourite cooking website… Share and tag us on Facebook (@DinerEnBlancInt) and Instagram (@dinerenblancint) and/or using #dinerenblanc #stayhome and cook.
Here are some recipes we enjoy and thought you would too.
Breakfast – Crepes/Waffles French Toast only three ingredients
• 1 large banana, peeled
• 2 eggs
• 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
• 1 teaspoon baking powder (optional)
• A drizzle of vegetable oil, for cooking
1. Blend the banana, eggs and baking powder in a food processor until smooth.
2. Add the flour and mix by hand. Set aside.
3. In a non-stick pan, heat a drizzle of oil.
4. Using an ice cream scoop, pour ¼ cup of the mixture into the pan. Cook for 2 to 3 minutes on each side (I cook 3 at a time).
5. Serve immediately with your choice of toppings.
TIPS AND TRICKS
• Topping ideas: fresh fruits, maple syrup, dark chocolate chips, butter
Lunch – Pasta Salad & Creamy Tuna and Pepper Sauce
• 1/3 cup mayonnaise
• 1 can of tuna (227 g)
• 1 tbsp sherry vinegar (or wine or cider)
• 1 tbsp capers, chopped
• 1 tsp ground pepper
FOR THE SALAD
• 3 cups of cooked pasta of your choice
• 100 g roast beef or pork, sliced commercially, cut into strips
• 1 cup arugula, chopped (or baby spinach)
• 1 cup cherry tomatoes, quartered
In a large bowl, combine all the ingredients "for the sauce", taking care to mash the tuna well so that it fits into the sauce.
Add all the ingredients "for the salad", then mix well. Adjust seasoning if necessary, then serve.
TIPS AND TRICKS
• To make 3 cups of cooked short pasta, cook 2 cups of raw pasta.
Tea Time (Afternoon Snack) - Muffin (no eggs)
• 1 c. chia seeds
• 3 tsp. water
• 1/2 cup brown sugar
• 1/4 cup vegetable oil
• 1 cup of vegetable or regular milk
• 1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
• 2 tsp. baking powder
• 1 1/2 cup of fruit of your choice, cut into 1 cm cubes (apples, pears, peaches, nectarines, strawberries, kiwis, blueberries, raspberries, cranberries, etc.)
• 1/2 cup chopped nuts (or chocolate chips or dried fruit)
1. Preheat the oven to 350° F and place the rack in the center. Oil or line a 12-muffin pan with parchment paper.
2. In a bowl, combine the chia seeds and water, then let sit for 2 minutes to obtain a gel.
3. In a large bowl, combine the brown sugar, vegetable oil and milk. Stir in the chia mixture and stir well.
4. Add the rest of the ingredients and stir to form a paste, nothing more.
5. Distribute the mixture in the mold, then bake for 30 minutes.
Here are some ideas of flavor combinations to inspire you: peaches + dark chocolate (on the photo), pears + pecans, blueberries + white chocolate, kiwis + dried apricots, apples + raisins, strawberries + almonds, raspberries + hazelnuts, cranberries + dates
Dinner – Quesadillas
• 4 cups baby spinach
• 8 large (8-inch) whole wheat tortillas
• Olive oil, as needed
• 8 slices of Swiss cheese
• 1/4 cup store-bought sundried tomato pesto
• 2 cups turkey, cooked and minced
1. Preheat the oven to 375 ° F.
2. Place the spinach in a large bowl with 1 tsp. of water and cook in the microwave for about 1 minute. Drain the excess water and set aside.
3. Brush oil on 1 side of each 4 tortillas then place them oil side down on baking dish.
4. Garnish each tortilla with some pesto with sun-dried tomatoes, spinach, your choice of meat and 2 slices of Swiss cheese, then cover the remaining tortillas.
5. Brush the outside of the tortillas with olive oil and bake for 15 minutes.
6. Press down on the quesadillas (to flatten) and cut into 6 or 8 slices. To serve.
Continue to follow us on our different platforms, we will be back in the coming days with ideas for a Dîner en Blanc, quarantine style!
In the meantime, stay safe and healthy!
#dinerenblanc #stayhome #cook
Leave a CommentLogin
Please log to your Member account to write on the wall: